google.com, pub-2774194725043577, DIRECT, f08c47fec0942fa0 L.A.Times Crossword Corner: Sunday, May 15, 2016 Melissa Brown and C.C. Burnikel

Advertisements

May 15, 2016

Sunday, May 15, 2016 Melissa Brown and C.C. Burnikel

Title: SECRET RETREAT

Husker Gary gladly caddying for C.C. and Melissa B today! These lovely ladies have hidden the word SPA in nine fills. You know, SPAS, where you can have various parts of your body wrapped, waxed, peeled, exfoliated, hydrated, stoned and rubbed. Sounds like a hoot!


THEME FILLS - All the theme fills were horizontal and SPA was split between the two words where the first word ended in S and the second word began with PA. A true model of consistency, not to mention wit from C.C. and Melissa B.

23. "Time for a shindig!" : LET'S PARTY


25. "Common Sense" pamphleteer : THOMAS PAINE - Count me in as honest, Tom!


37. Remarkable thing, in old slang : CAT'S PAJAMAS - Or luxury cat accommodations in Lincoln


54. Where to get the score : SPORTS PAGE - It had to kill the Seattle Times to give the score of Super Bowl XLIX on what may be the most stupid play call in history


71. Resort with a Forum Tower : CAESAR'S PALACE - What else are you going to name your towers there? 


89. Very slow motion : SNAIL'S PACE - Finally a running shop that "get's me"!

105. Brewery product since 1777 : BASS PALE ALE - The famous Bass Red Triangle Label in Manet's 1882 A Bar at the Folies-Bergère


123. Reporter's entrée : PRESS PASS - I don't know this actor but everything else seems right


120. Acid test substance : LITMUS PAPER - We pitched the papers and used this


...and the three-letter reveal

125. Retreat hidden in nine puzzle answers : SPA - Do you see a hint that this SPA is located in Hershey, Pennsylvania?

Okay, I'll try not to rub you the wrong way as we massage this puzzle's wonderful content:

Across
1. Playground provocation : DARE - A brass statue in Hammond, IN (home of author Jean Shepherd who inspired A Christmas Story) dedicated to a famous movie DARE 


5. Campus org. founded in 1906 : NCAA

9. Existing : BEING

14. Capers : LARKS

19. Religion of most Iranians : SHIA

20. Stops allowing : BANS

21. Complete : UTTER

22. Greenland native : INUIT - Where they were/are 


27. Chichén Itzá builder : MAYA

28. Basque city with a Guggenheim Museum : BILBAO - In northern Spain. Uh, not TOLEDO!

30. Make up your mind : OPT

31. "Bus Stop" playwright : INGE - He said the play was based on people he met in Tonganoxie, Kansas

32. Juice unit : AMP

34. Knitting choices : PURLS - Oh, now I get it! Yeah right!


35. People's Choice Award winner for Favorite TV Drama, 2008-2011 : HOUSE MD

41. Winged stingers : WASPS

43. __ Plaines River : DES

44. Off-road ride, for short : ATV - High center of gravity, narrow base and idiocy make these so dangerous 


45. Muchos meses : ANOS - Many months = Years (in español)

46. Dealer's query : YOU IN?

48. SEC concern : IPO - Initial Public Offering 

50. Yemeni capital : RIAL - A Big Mac meal in Sana'a costs 1,833 ﷼ (RIALS)

52. Palm products : DATES - An ingredient in grandma's great Christmas cookies

59. Sicilian skiing attraction : ETNA - Who needs snow? Here's summer skiing on Etna's powdery volcanic ash


60. They may be about nothing : ADOS

61. Jacket material : SUEDE

62. Drops the ball : ERRS - Wes Welker does just that in Super Bowl XLVI and super model Gisele Bundchen famously said of her QB husband Tom Brady, "He can't f____ing throw the ball and catch it too!"


63. Top story : ATTIC

65. Move a muscle : STIR

67. Some might vote in it : ABSENTIA - Love this cluing

70. Time of life : AGE

75. CBS forensic series : CSI

76. Sammy Davis Jr.'s only #1 hit, with "The" : CANDY MAN 

78. Short staffer? : ASST

79. Send payment : REMIT

81. Weymouth of Talking Heads : TINA - Bassist TINA and drummer husband Chris Frantz formed Talking Heads in 1971 and have been married for almost 40 years


82. Like clarinet music : REEDY

84. Clarinet kin : OBOE

87. "Drinks are __!" : ON ME - "I am very messy!"

92. Dishwasher handle? : AMANA

93. Simon of Broadway : NEIL - I can't pick a favorite NEIL Simon play. You? My daughter was a great Corie in this classic


94. Match part : SET

95. Big name in Russian ballet : KIROV- The KIROV Ballet Company declined greatly when Nureyev, Makarova and Baryshnikov defected to the West during the Cold War

97. Coal unit : LUMP

99. L.A. Galaxy's group : MLS - Major League Soccer

100. Gardner of film : AVA

103. Chinese menu assurance : NO MSG - The Mayo Clinic says there is no direct link to illness and MSG

108. "I don't think so" : NICE TRY - If he says "I don't think so", he'll never say "NICE TRY"


110. Whence Saint Teresa : AVILA - A 16th century Spanish Saint who is the patron saint of headache sufferers

111. Phone book no. : TEL - Ours was 132-J when we had to tell an operator

112. Ship stabilizer : KEEL

113. Unruly do : MOP

115. Spartan serfs : HELOTS

117. Its initials became its name in 1999 : AARP

126. Great Lakes natives : ERIES -What? I thought they lived around Lake Crossword! :-) 

127. Novelist's list, perhaps : IDEAS - JK Rowling's hand-written spreadsheet notes to create Harry Potter. How'd that book do?


128. Fertilizer ingredient : PEAT

129. Lose it : SNAP

130. Holy, to Henri : SACRE - SACRE' bleu (Sacred Blue) became a common sound-alike for  SACRE' Dieu (Sacred God) which was considered blasphemous 

131. Theatrical device : ASIDE - A frequent device in House Of Cards


132. Use one's outside voice : YELL

133. Grammy winner James : ETTA

Down

1. Surfing letters : DSL - Digital Subscriber Line is now passé 

2. Small clearing? : AHEM - Cute

3. Beatles girl : RITA - The Lovely Meter Maid

4. Piece-of-cake courses : EASY A'S

5. Magic org. : NBA - Orlando pro basketballers

6. Concern for some losers : CARB

7. Ristorante course : ANTIPASTO - From the Latin: ANTI (before) PASTUS (meal). Served at the SPA?


8. Safe haven : ASYLUM

9. "Furthermore, however, ... " : BUT ALSO

10. Cultural spirit : ETHOS

11. Judge in 1995 news : ITO - Some think Johnnie Cochran was in charge of the OJ trial

12. Pixar protagonist : NEMO - In 2016 Pixar is now finding NEMO'S friend


13. Boardroom props : GRAPHS

14. Edge : LIP - Where some putts go to die

15. "Delta of Venus" author Nin : ANAIS - Common fare here at the Crossword Cafeteria

16. Beyond repair : RUINED

17. Checkers speech? : KING ME

18. Renaissance fair rides : STEEDS

24. Argentine plain : PAMPA

26. Restraining order? : STOP IT

29. Donkeys' cries : BRAYS

33. How to watch Mei Xiang and Bei Bei : PANDA CAM - Very appropriate so close to Mother's Day


36. Delivery letters : USPS

37. Close attention : CARE

38. Like political foes, frequently : AT IT AGAIN - "My opponent is a thespian and a masticator!" 

39. Dish forerunner : TV ANTENNA 

40. Steinbeck hero Tom : JOAD - "Wherever they’s a fight so hungry people can eat, I’ll be there."

41. Erase completely : WIPE

42. Battery terminal-related : ANODAL - On the positive side

47. Seizes illegally : USURPS

49. Welcoming sign : OPEN

51. GPS figure : LAT - I live at 41˚North LATitude in eastern Nebraska, same as Rome, Italy. Uh, not the same weather!


53. She, in Sicily : ESSA

55. First name in country : REBA

56. Aesthetic film genre : ART CINEMA - I don't dig subtitles 

57. Grain processor : GRIST MILL - A beautiful one in West Virginia


58. Morales of "The Brink" : ESAI

61. Actress Spacek : SISSY

64. Like a "daggers" look : ICY

66. Wall Street regular : TRADER - Politicians campaign against them but still take their money

68. Dress down in a big way : SCREAM AT

69. Broad shoe size : EEE 

70. Book following the Gospels : ACTS

72. Holliday friend : EARP 


73. Devious ones : SNEAKS

74. Splittable bit : ATOM

77. Place for a speaker : DAIS

80. Cal. column : MON - Unfortunately this month has 5 MON's


83. Smokeless smoke, briefly : E-CIG

85. Fast-growing sapling : BALSA TREE - Now that's my kind of logging!


86. "Movin' __": "The Jeffersons" theme : ON UP

88. Otherwise : ELSE

90. Fast time? : LENT - Cute again

91. Rages : STORMS

92. Be of use : AVAIL

96. FDR's side, on a dime : OBVERSE - Generally the larger, main image as opposed to the reverse side of a coin, medal, flag, etc


98. Ardent requests : PLEAS

100. They're just over two feet : ANKLES - Cute some more

101. Former moderator of "The View" : VIEIRA

102. Vinegary : ACETIC

104. Reason for spectacles : MYOPIA - Nearsightedness


106. __ Joe : SLOPPY - Named after a cook named Joe at a Sioux City, IA restaurant who added tomato sauce to his loose meat sandwich

107. Tick away : ELAPSE

109. Wascally wabbit wival : ELMER

110. Best way to leave Vegas : AHEAD - Take the money and RUN!


114. Mice move on them : PADS

116. Official emblem : SEAL

118. Emotional blog entry : RANT

119. Natl. Merit Scholarship qualifying exam : PSAT


121. Find a job for : USE

122. Canada's smallest prov. : PEI

124. Airport NW of the Gateway Arch : STL

Only someone in a Fool'S PAradise would skip your comments that follow:

The Grid



Notes from C.C.:

Congratulations to our beautiful Melissa on her L.A. Times debut! Melissa and I have been kicking around various puzzles ideas for a few years. So happy we persisted and finally made it. It's a joy and comfort working with Melissa, who constantly inspires me with her strength, tenacity & incredible poise.

Left to Right: Melissa's daughter, Melissa's mom Barbara B, Melissa

The title is Rich's. It captures the hidden gimmick much better than our original "Hot Spot". Click here to see our originally submitted grid. Rich took time and redid our 38D & 39D area. He was concerned that GIRLY MAN (76A) maybe seen as pejorative by some. Rich also caught our SPAN (49D) goof, as it has SPA in it. So we redid the right middle.

35 comments:

fermatprime said...

Greetings!

Thanks, mb, CC, Gary.

An enjoyable puzzle. No problems. TINA was perped.

Falling asleep.

Cheers!

OwenKL said...

FIW. Three cells. I had dieters interested in fARe instead of CARB, and misspelt CAESeR. The three perps were all unknowns to me.
The theme didn't help at first. Retreat usually implies reversed, and sure enough, the first long entry I found (23) had [secret] TRAPS embedded in it in reverse! That led me on a wild goose chase after that red herring. It was just a snipe hunt to find the white whale.

The last couple days I've been feeling particularly poetic. I'm sure it will pass.

As you RANT and SCREAM AT me,
I'll be as proper as can be!
I'll give no LIP,
Won't YELL nor flip --
Thus calmly rip your sanity!

A SPA is my ideal location
For weekend or a whole vacation
Mud or steam? I'll be choosy
Hop into a hot Jacuzzi!
But my wallet SCREAMS AT me, "Staycation!"

She'd iron all day, the cleaner's lass,
She drank only BASS PALE ALE in a glass.
After hard work at scrubbing
At night she'd go clubbing,
Get in ritzy places with her launderer's PRESS PASS!

The tailor, to the court was bade
About a suit for unfair TRADE.
To the judge, PLEAS he wrote --
Sent in a fine coat!
In secret, "It helps to know how to per-SUADE!"

{A-, B+, B+, A-.}

Barry G. said...

Morning, all!

Figured out the theme on my own before getting to the reveal for a change, so that was nice. Overall a very enjoyable puzzle. Thought a few clues were a bit off here and there, but nothing major to complain about.

My biggest self-inflicted injury was thinking "Dress down" was a punny clue referring to removing clothing and trying to fit STREAKING or STRIPPING in at 68D. As a result, I ended up with STREAMING AT after getting the rest of the perps, which I just couldn't understand, but I left it in until i finally got around to looking at 71A and realized that CAESAR'S PALATE probably wasn't correct. Cue light bulb/V8 can moment...

desper-otto said...

Good Morning!

Congrats, MelissaB, I enjoyed your premiere LAT outing. And it almost started my week with a DNF. The Rockies were, well, rocky. Finally I saw PANDA CAM and that whole area fell in seconds. C.C., where do you find the time for all of these collaborations?

Good way to leave Vegas -- ALONE.
Argentine plain -- tried LLANO, that is a thing, right?
Tried ACIDIC before ACETIC showed up.
Husker, I attended a 4-day annual meeting at the Hershey Hotel. Ritzy place. The boss grew up in Hershey.
No PAD for my mouse. I prefer a trackball.

Lemonade714 said...

Congratulations to Melissa for her debut and a Sunday to boot! C.C. do you have a count of how many at the Corner with whom you have collaborated on puzzles? You are so very thoughtful and generous and really understand gridding. I especially love that mb' s background in the Spa was the centerpiece of the puzzle. Getting 12 theme fill in the successes was awesome.

BILBOA and TINA were my bumps. How did you clue GIRLY MAN? Arnold?

HG wonderful work,the bass ale bottle in the painting was inspired. You did point out all of my favorite fill.

I really cannot maneuver a trackball yet I have turned use one with one of my clients. They must work only for right handers.

Lemonade714 said...

Successes. Before autocorrect acrosses

Madame Defarge said...

Good Morning! Busy day on tap so I was pleased and surprised to do pretty well this morning. Thanks, Melissa and C.C. for the fun. I also enjoy hearing about the construction process.

Super tour, Gary. Wonderful links. Thanks so much!

Have a great day!

billocohoes said...

Was thinking of Billie Holiday for Holliday, so tried ETTA and ELLA instead of EARP, then ETTA popped up later.

TTP said...

Good morning all. Wonderful puzzle and write up. Congrats Melissa B on your debut, and thank you CC and Gary.

Started in the SE and worked the diagonal up to the NW. SPA was my very first fill. HG, did you ever get that pedicure ?

Couple of hiccups, but nothing that couldn't be resolved. Had snakes before SNEAKS, so that confused that area for a few moments.

Thought Of Madame Defarge and my MIL at knitting / PURLS.

Yeah, Wes Welker couldn't make that catch in the Superbowl against the New York football Giants. The ball might have been too hard.

In the 2015 AFC Championship game, Brady and the Patriots made sure the balls weren't too hard. They got caught cheating (again) by deflating the balls and Brady will be suspended for 4 games to start this season.

Yellowrocks said...

Picked up SPA in the first minutes, which helped tremendously. DNF because I skipped a few cells in the extreme NW and forgot to return. Bah! Great puzzle, MB and CC. Owen, fun poems, All were fine but the first two were my faves.
Interesting expo, Gary. That looks like Babcock State Park in WV. We have stayed there several times. We have stayed in various state parks in WV every year for almost 40 years to enjoy the outstanding scenery.
I liked the puns for ANKLES and ATTIC.
What kind of sloppy joes do you eat? There are two kinds around here. (1) ground beef with spicy tomato sauce served on a bun. (2)Pastrami, Turkey Breast and/or Corned Beef; Cole Slaw, Russian dressing, all piled high on four layers of sliced rye bread. Non Jewish delis add Swiss cheese.

Husker Gary said...

Musings
-Another Sunday with no puzzle to do but, not to worry, Joann says we can skip church to go watch grandson play baseball in Lincoln. I’ll be at the Optimist Field very near you Joe…
-The inside info on construction was greatly appreciated in my corner as well
-TTP, I did try that pedicure complete with a hot rock massage but the girl never looked at me and just talked in Vietnamese to her fellow workers. Probably - Bạn có thấy ông già này ở ghế của tôi? (Did you see this old guy in my chair?) Oh well, it was only $20.
-Otto, we loved Hershey, PA but this is my lasting memory of that town
-My daughter’s mouse was giving her carpal tunnel issues and so State Farm bought her this ergonomic mouse which has greatly reduced that issue
-Great limericks as usual, Owen. I was surprised the cleaner’s lass had a G-rated finish. ☺
-Sloppy Joes were called steam burgers when we were in school and the Home Ec. (FCS today) classes made them. It was the only hot meal item available in those days of yesteryear.

Irish Miss said...

Good Morning:

I whizzed through this with nary a bump along the way. I caught the theme very early on and that always moves things right along. My kind of puzzle: Cute theme, clever cluing, fresh fill and, last but not least, fun and enjoyable to solve! 😉

Thank you, CC and Meliss B, for a pleasant Sunday sojourn and congrats MB on the debut. Thanks, HG, for the very special tour and commentary; you outdid yourself today.

I watched The Remains of the Day last night and while I remembered the core of the story, there was much that I had forgotten. It certainly showcased Anthony Hopkin's remarkable talents. The ending was not the one I wanted but it was the one that had to be. 😔

Have a great day.

Irish Miss said...

Sorry, Melissa.

Big Easy said...

Well if 'GIRLY MAN' is good enough for Governator Awwnold, and the LA Times is in the same state, why not? I caught the SPA connection after PARTY and PAINE but the puzzles was an easy Sunday, worked fro NW to SE. A couple of unknowns, Talking Heads's TINA Weymouth, and Meredith VIEIRA, who I know of but not 'The View'. OBVERSE is a new term for me and I knew HEADS (or tails) wouldn't fit for the coin.

DSL is really ADSL, an in Asynchronous DSL. Upload is one speed and download is another speed.
OwenK- Staycation- no way- on vacation there's one thing I never do-shop.
DO- I hate the smell of ACETIC acid and Ammonia. But for some reason various vinegars don't bother me.

Congrats, Melissa, HG, and especially C.C., who's been in a lot of print these past few days. So this CANDYMAN is outta here and on his way to an Italian restaurant for lunch, but I never order the ANTIPASTO (does that mean 'against pasta? I know)

Bill G. said...

Hi everybody. I enjoyed that very much. Tricky in spots but doable. Thanks Melissa, CC and Gary. Nice job all.

I could tell somebody new was involved because there seemed to be lots of original clues. Very nice.

TTP, speaking of pedicures, I got one yesterday. With my bad back, reaching down low is a problem. Debbie solves that for me. Money well spent say I. Gary, I had the same frustration with the language at the first Vietnamese shop I went to several years back. I think it would be obvious that speaking back and forth in their language would feel rude to customers. It always felt that they were making fun of me for some reason. I found a shop run by an Anglo lady. More expensive but a more pleasant experience for me.

inanehiker said...

This was a smooth solve for me -- I must have been on Melissa's wavelength. WBS about dressing down having to do with casual clothes- and I started with with SCROUNGE once I had the SCR- but corrected by perps.

Made me ready to go for my twice a year pedicure - I tell all my patients to take the toenail polish off from October to April when it doesn't show - and that helps the nails breath and decreases the risk of nail fungus - -- which is so hard to get rid of.

Thought of CC doing a Sporcle quiz yesterday:
http://www.sporcle.com/games/knope2012/chinese-cuisine

Thanks HG, Melissa, and CC! Congrats to MelissaB!

C6D6 Peg said...

Very nice work today by Melissa B and C.C. Congrats on the debut MB!

Puzzle would have been finished much quicker had I put in my first thoughts right away, as they turned out correct! LOL. Must be getting used to C.C's train of thought!

Thanks, HG, for a great review. Lots of pics, videos, etc. Thanks for the explanation of the coin sides!

Lucina said...

Congratulations, Melissa B for this lovely Sunday puzzle! And also to C.C. whose talent and generosity I admire. BTW, recently I did one of C.C.'s puzzles in a book edited by Will Shortz. The theme was RSTNLE, the free letters in Wheel of Fortune. Fun!

This one was great fun and SPA soon became evident and definitely helped with some of the theme answers. My sisters and I AVAIL ourselves of the SPA any time we can.

I loved so much of the fresh fill:

concern for some losers: CARB
they're just over two feet: ANKLES (really laughed out loud on that)
dishwasher handle: AMANA (we see this so much in variously clued ways)

Those struck me particularly but many others along the way tickled my funny bone. But, drat, HOUSEMD escaped me since I've never watched it and HOUSEld seemed fine and though KINGLE didn't make much sense I left it. Sadly my newspaper has no red letters to warn me. But it was still a satisfying solve.

Thanks again, MB and CC! Thank you, Gary, for your imaginative and SNAPpy blogging.

I hope you are each and everyone enjoying a spectacular day!

tawnya said...

Morning all!

I got excited when I saw it was a Melissa and CC puzzle today and they did not disappoint! Many fun clues and answers! Thank you and I hope you are working on another one.

Sloppy Joe brought this funny to mind - very old SNL favorite with Chris Farley and Adam Sandler

Thanks again for the fun distraction this morning, and of course the enlightening write up, too!

Happy Sunday!

t.

Jayce said...

Wow! Just, wow! I thought this was an outstanding puzzle; full of imagination, originality, humor (ANKLES indeed!), and intelligence. Melissa and C.C., hearty congratulations to you. This is one of the best and most satisfying puzzles I have worked in a long time. It is going into my list of the top 10.

I found it quite surprising and enlightening to see the difference between the original and the final constructions. There was a big reworking of the NE corner as well, but I'm not sure why. The original seems pretty doggone good; was the ACTAS that was problematical?

I'm still smiling at "just over two feet." Love love love it!

Gary, your write-up was exceptional, too. I was enchanted by the picture of people skiing on the Mt. Etna ash powder. And I'd order that antipasto! (I always want to spell it antepasto.) I like your selection of photos and links to accompany your exposition.

Man oh man, I'm bubbling over, so I'll stop now. Best wishes to you all.

maripro said...

Congrats to C.C. M.B. and H.G. - stellar work from you all.
I loved seeing the original puzzle; it's amazing how much work can be involved by having to change one measly letter!

SE Pensy said...

This is the first easy Sunday for me in avwhile. Never get the theme angle for these puzzles.Thanks

CanadianEh! said...

Congrats Melissa and C.C. on a fun puzzle. Thanks Husker G for explaining. (I have visited the Hershey chocolate factory also.)

Hand up for acidic before ACETIC and wanting Heads before OBVERSE. I had Rim before LIP and my Boardroom props were easels before GRAPHS. WBS re thinking dress down referred to clothes. We had SCREAMED AT and YELL.

I got the theme very early in the solve which helped immensely. I was thinking that it was time for my spring pedicure. (I have a lovely SPA gift from Mother's Day to use!)

PEI was easy but my Canadian brain filled in CARP before AARP. But I was misdirected by Checkers speech? to thinking about Nixon! (Maybe KING ME still fit.)

Insalata was too short and gave way to ANTIPASTO.

The Toronto Zoo has Panda cubs also - Jia Panpan and Jia Yueyue, now 7 months old.
No live PANDA CAM but there is a photo/video album! They are so cute to watch.
PandaCubs

Cool here and it actually tried to snow but forecast is looking better for later in the week.
Enjoy the day!

Misty said...

Great to see a C.C. and Melissa B. puzzle on a Sunday morning. Very exciting, with lots of fun clues and a fun theme. No, I didn't get it all and had to cheat a few times, but not very much, thank goodness. And enjoyed your write-up, Gary.

I too though "Top story" for ATTIC was clever. And thought it was fun to see REED and OBOE next to each other. Glad I got THOMAS PAINE, St. Teresa of AVILA, ANAIS Nin, NEIL Simon, Tom JOAD, and ELMER Fudd--that's a lot of folks in my wheelhouse!

Have a great Sunday, everybody!

Yellowrocks said...

I am surprised that the deli on rye layered Sloppily Joe sandwich with coleslaw does not resonate with anyone. There is controversy whether it should have cheese or not, but it is common here. Until I lived in NJ, I never heard of it.
We celebrated Alan's and my grandson's birthday yesterday with my older son and DIL and also Mother's Day. It is so interesting to deal with my grandson as an adult with very cogent arguments, actually more reasonable than those of my ultra partisan son, Kenny is a very rational impartial mediator between my son and me, citing facts. I am an independent leaning strongly liberal.
For lunch today I sauted the delicious gyhosza care package my DIL sent home. They are the best I ever tasted. DIL gave me prepackaged dashi granules. I will l let you know.

Bill G. said...

For those of you who don't watch or record Sunday Morning on CBS, here is my favorite segment from this morning's show. It's about the sound effects man on Prairie Home Companion, Fred Newman. I like it so much that when the three of them finished up with their little arrangement of "Goin' to the Chapel," it brought tears to my eyes.

On the side of the main page, you can find links to their other segments including goats in the trees in Morocco, Rachel Maddow, a comatose fellow coming back from a vegetative state and more.

Spitzboov said...

Good afternoon everyone.

Was able to keep the solve on an even KEEL and finished it without too much ADO. Lots of fresh fill and it 'flowed'. Noticed the theme on the way through but it didn't help or hinder the progress.
A nice contribution from Melissa and C.C.
Gary, thanks for the informative intro.

Jerome said...

Nice, Melissa! And a Sunday debut... pretty dang cool. Most constructors wade into the shallows before diving into the deeper waters.

What is objectionable about GIRLY MAN is that it implies if you're not some big, tough action hero type you're a punk, or less than a real man. That's the exact context in which it was used by Ahnold. It also implies that women are weak and spineless.
I do find a man who would father a child with his housekeeper while his wife was carrying their own child to be a spineless coward and truly worthy of contempt.

Anonymous said...

TA-DA! I finally finished a Sunday puzzle! Thanks Melissa B and C.C.! It was fun! Thanks, HG, for the entertaining expo!

I had rotc/NCAA, LETS dance/LETS PARTY,toTal/utter, then things smoothed out and I slowly filled in the rest.

Enjoy your evening!

Pat

PK said...

Hi Y'all! Bravo! Encore, melissa b & C.C.! LET'S PARTY was a nice invitation to all those SPAs. Sounds good to me. Some really varied meaty fill in this puzzle. Great expo, Gary!

Liked CARB (must be pasta) & ANTIPASTO together & ACETIC crossing LITMUS. That platter of stuff looks like the whole meal to me.

Didn't know BILBAO, TINA or MLS.

Tried Lapps before INUIT. Didn't know they were in Greenland.

Only place I ever had a PRESS PASS was for the state level preliminary of Miss America pageant. The pass put us in a special reserved section for paper media just in front of the TV cameras. We didn't dare stand up to take pictures of "our girl" or the back of our heads would be on TV. Frustrating.

SLOPPY JOES: As a 4-H leader many years ago, I helped make gallons of SLOPPY JOES to sell at the 4-H Food Stand every year at the county fair. Big money maker. Gallons is not an exaggeration. The recipe included Worcestershire sauce, mustard, ketchup and some other stuff (brown sugar?) I can't remember as well as the hamburger we fried and drained. Always had to eat a few myself while cooking. Went home coated with the smell. Commercial size recipe that I never could quite duplicate in smaller amounts at home. But maybe it just lacked the excitement of our 4-H kid wait staff. Always fun.

melissa bee said...

happy sunday to everyone, appreciate all the nice comments. cc is so generous and supportive in bringing new collaborators into the fold - truly a fun and interesting process.

nice work, gary, you brought it to life.

jayce, you made my day, thanks :).

thanks jerome - i agree - pretty dang cool of cc to bring me along on a sunday.

Unknown said...

Was so SURE that my wrong answer for 104D was right (MYOPIC) - but, duh, aside - that I googled Cside, certain that it would reveal another theatrical device. Instead I had the treat of learning about a Scripps Institute of Oceanography project!! Worth checking out!

Anonymous T said...

Sunday Lurk say:

Congrats Melissa B. I didn't play today but HG's write-up shows a job well done. What a beautiful grid w/ SPA X-ing the last fill! Quite elegant.

What's wrong w/ Girly-man? (SNL 3:20). Jerome you nailed it sans-politics.

C.C. & M.B.: Yous made me hungry. Sloppy Joes gave me an idea for Tuesday's dinner so I picked up the yum-yums while at the store. Started w/ onions & garlic in olive oil. Add bell peppers & then the beef; a bit of cumin. A can of tomato past & crushed tomatoes & more garlic. Can you guess it will be heavy on the garlic :-). I built it tonight and it will be melded by Tuesday.

Tonight was salmon w/ a white-wine-mustard & mushroom-cream sauce with wild rice. Tomorrow will be left-over salmon on a bed of lettuce w/ olives & garbanzos drizzled w/ balsamic vinegar. ANTIPASTO /w salami, provolone, and pepperoni will start us. It's good to be back in the kitchen.

Play w/ y'all tomorrow.

Cheers, -T

JD said...

Loved it! Laughed out loud when I figured out ANKLES. I was tired when I arrived at that spot...a spa would be nice. Spent the day helping out at the Little League play day.
C.C., you and Melissa make a great team. Thanks Gary, your write ups are always fun. My favorite Neil Simon movie was Barefoot in the Park.

Here's to a great week.

Anonymous T said...

NBC bugger'd my Girly Man link. Or I did... Hear me now, belive me later. C, -T