Theme:"Incidental Music" - Musical notes are orderly added to the start of each theme answer.
23A. Donut lover's discipline? : DOZEN MEDITATION. Zen meditation. My landlord (a Buddhist) in Shanghai chanted in front of burning incense every day. His meditation.
32A. Kicking back with the drones? : RESTING LIKE A BEE. Sting like a bee.
41A. Japanese soup, apparently? : MISO, IT SEEMS? So it seems. I love the simple Wakame & Tofu miso.
67A. So-so joe? : FAIRISH COFFEE. Irish coffee. Ha ha, Avg Joe!
74A. Bangle, often? : SOLID BRACELET. ID bracelet.
99A. Snorkeling area patrol unit? : LAGOON SQUAD. Goon squad.
106A. Broadcaster who goes on and on and on? : TIRING ANNOUNCER. Ring announcer. I met Gophers' announcer Dick Jonckowski at Twin Cities Sports Collectors' Club banquet 2 weeks ago. He was an AWA Wrestling ring announcer sometime ago. Look at his bobblehead collection.
122A. "Water that poor plant before all the leaves dry up!"? : DOUSE IT OR LOSE IT. Use it or lose it.
What a delightful theme from Doug Peterson! Nothing heavy metal related. Doug loves heavy metal noise :-)
The fill is incredibly clean, Doug's hallmark. He's one of the very limited few constructors who can make Monday/Tuesday puzzles, themeless puzzles & Sunday grids. Rich Norris, Patrick Berry, Jeff Chen & Liz Gorski are the other few that come to mind. Who else?
Doug is also a fast solver. Look at here. He's currently 14th. See Rich Norris & Patti Varol? LAT rocks!
1. Campfire residue : ASH
4. Volkswagen sedan : PASSAT. And 21. Four-ring-logo company : AUDI. Owned by
10. Speak for yourself? : BRAG. Got me!
14. Office __: Staples rival : DEPOT
19. Suffix with señor : ITA. Senorita. Like our -ette, feminizing.
20. Outfielder who had a single-season record 262 hits in 2004 : ICHIRO. With the Mariners then. Love this Ichiro stretching picture.
22. Hidden repository : CACHE
26. C.S. Lewis lion : ASLAN
27. Symbol of steadiness : EVEN KEEL
28. School-wk. start : MON. And 72. Honoree on the third 28-Across in Jan. : MLK
29. Shell lobbers : MORTARS
31. Copy editor's mark : DELE
36. Emulate Eminem : RAP
39. "CSI" actor George : EADS. I can never remember his name. Quite handsome.
40. Literature Nobelist Canetti : ELIAS
46. Gander, e.g. : MALE. Trick clue.
47. Player with earbuds : IPOD. So what's your favorite podcast? Mine is Fresh Air.
51. Lyricist Gershwin : IRA
52. Dustin's "Midnight Cowboy" role : RATSO
53. One of a hotel room pair : TWIN
55. Medina native : SAUDI
56. Feeling sluggish : LOGY. I think I learned this word from another Doug P puzzle.
58. Defunct '80s gridiron gp. : USFL (United States Football League)
60. Recipe quantity : ONE CUP
63. Missile stabilizer : FIN. Learning moment to me.
64. Shinbone neighbor : KNEECAP
70. Forbidden : TABOO
73. Squiggly diacritic : TILDE. The stuff in Jalapeño.
79. Julius and Augustus, e.g. : CAESARs
83. Blubber : CRY
84. Haile Selassie followers : RASTAs
85. De Matteo of "The Sopranos" : DREA
87. Many a Royal Troon golfer : SCOT. Held a few British Opens. JD visited St Andrews last year.
88. Be on the same page : AGREE
90. State secrets? : BLAB. Nice clue. Verb "State".
92. Longhorn rival : AGGIE
95. Baton Rouge sch. : LSU
96. Romney's 2012 running mate : RYAN (Paul)
97. 1/640 of a square mile : ACRE
102. __ cotta : TERRA. Some of you saw these terra-cotta warriors in person. The biggest tourist draw in Xi'An.
104. Singer Tennille : TONI
105. The "t" in Crete? : TAU. Just their T.
112. Farm Belt state : IOWA
116. Swallowed one's pride : ATE CROW
117. MD workplaces : ORs
118. Item kept near brushes : PAINT CAN. Poor Marti must be tired to see those cans.
121. Name on many video games : MARIO
126. Fallback option : PLAN B
127. "And don't forget ..." : ALSO
128. Break : RECESS
129. "__ Maria" : AVE
130. "The Playboy of the Western World" dramatist : SYNGE (John). Not familiar with the play or the author.
131. Scrabble two-pointers : DEES
132. Enthusiastic : RAH-RAH
133. Folk hero Kelly : NED
1. Gave a ride, say : AIDED
2. Log cabin warmer : STOVE
3. Eye color : HAZEL
4. Best of health, figuratively : PINK. Also Victoria Secret's lingerie line.
5. Climber's goal : ACME
6. Hosiery variety : SHEER
7. Move furtively : SIDLE
8. D-backs, on a sports ticker : ARI
9. Typical "Yo Gabba Gabba!" viewer : TOT
10. Relay sticks : BATONS
11. Feeling sorry about : RUING
12. Stir : ADO
13. Cheap saloon : GIN MILL
14. Beltway region, briefly : DC AREA
15. Taiwan's locale : EAST ASIA. This missing Malaysian Airlines is so mysterious. Could it be hijacked somewhere?
16. Programming class setting : PC LAB
17. Orchard Field, today : O'HARE
18. Keyed up : TENSE
24. Año opener : ENERO
25. In the thick of : AMIDST
30. Great Depression migrant : OKIE
33. Take to the airport, say : SEE OFF
34. Floppy topper : TAM
35. Most pleasing to Jack Sprat : LEANEST
37. Bubble filler : AIR
38. Sch. meeting group : PTA
41. Cereal go-with : MILK
42. Weights, when pumped : IRON
43. Judicious : SAGE
44. Zombielike states : STUPORS
45. Suffix with lion : ESS
46. Skimpy skirt : MINI. And 91. Skirt companion : BLOUSE. Try it, it's not easy to find a pretty Blouse & Mini picture, Dave!
48. Powder __ : PUFF
49. Patient of Dr. Liz : ODIE. I drew a blank of Dr. Liz.
50. Enjoy a meal : DINE
54. Got the job done : WORKED
55. Fine china name : SPODE. LENOX also has 5 letters.
57. High-elevation enigma : YETI
59. San Diego suburb whose name means "the table" : LA MESA. Very helpful clue.
61. Loop site : CHICAGO
62. Pac-12 school : UCLA
65. Core group : CADRE
66. "Take a Chance on Me" quartet : ABBA
68. Down with something : ILL
69. Come clean, with "up" : FESS
71. Muffin stuff : OAT BRAN. I don't eat any bran stuff. Or brown rice.
74. Dueling memento : SCAR
75. Unrestrained party : ORGY
76. Constellation named for an instrument : LYRA
77. NASCAR Hall of Famer Yarborough : CALE
78. Like some flaws : TRAGIC
80. Scopes Trial gp. : ACLU
81. Historic Parks : ROSA. Noticed P is capitalized.
82. Simple earring : STUD
86. Psych 101 topic : EGO
89. Hard to resist : ENTICING
93. Mtge. feature : INT
94. Panamanian pronoun : ESA
97. 2012 Best Picture : ARGO
98. Crustacean used in Cajun cuisine : CRAWDAD. I don't think I've had any authentic Cajun food.
100. "Barbara __": 1960s hit : ANN
101. Bails : QUITS
103. Dress like a justice : ENROBE
104. Statue subjects : TORSOS
106. Packs down : TAMPS
107. Land of the Apennines : ITALY
108. Showed again : RE-RAN
109. Futile : NO USE
110. Period in history : EPOCH
111. More valuable, possibly : RARER. Like the Mickey Mantle rookie card.
113. Giant squid's home : OCEAN
114. Give up : WAIVE
115. Paid to play : ANTED
119. Rick's flame : ILSA. "Casablanca".
120. Light bite : NOSH
123. Ringside cheer : OLE
124. Clearance rack abbr. : IRR
125. Genteel gathering : TEA