Theme: NaCl - Four types of salt.
17. *Oft-minced bulb : GARLIC CLOVE. Garlic salt
24. *Laura Hillenbrand best-seller about a racehorse : SEABISCUIT. Sea salt
38. Recipe direction ... and a literal hint to what you can do to the starts of the answers to starred clues : ADD SALT
50. *Dry-climate landscape option : ROCK GARDEN. Rock salt.
62. *Olympic sport with a hollow ball : TABLE TENNIS. Table salt
Argyle here and I just want to be your salty dog.(2:08) A couple of learning moments plus four long climbers makes this Tuesday fairly easy yet entertaining. Well done.
1. Campaign display : POSTER
7. Tuber made into poi : TARO
11. Actor Beatty : NED
14. Give in : ACCEDE
15. Out for the night : ABED
16. Australian bird : EMU
19. Came in first : WON
20. Woman in a Beethoven piano title : ELISE
21. Oscar night rides : LIMOs
22. Classic sports cars : GTs
23. Absorbed : RAPT
26. Honest prez : ABE
28. Math comparison : RATIO
29. Sally Ride, e.g. : ASTRONAUT
35. Diarist Frank : ANNE
37. Island wreath : LEI
41. "Dig in!" : "EAT!". "Mangia!"
42. Celebrity : FAME
44. Statues, often : MEMORIALS
46. "Now you __ ... " : SEE IT
49. Fist-up call : OUT
54. Palms-down call : SAFE
58. Photo lab abbr. : ENL. (enlargement)
59. Dubai bigwig : EMEER. Alternate spelling.
60. "MASH" setting : KOREA
61. __ juice: milk : MOO
64. Company abbr. : INC. (incorporated)
65. Sheep's cry : BLAT. I'm more familiar with 'bleat' with sheep and "BLAT" from a horn.
66. Candy heart message : [BE MINE]. How long before this?
68. Backwoods possessive : YERS. Sorta goes with Salty Dog, don't it?
69. Rains ice pellets : SLEETS
1. Cell alternative : PAGER
2. Florida horse-breeding city : OCALA
3. Doc's order to a pharmacist : SCRIP
4. Early communications satellite : TELSTAR
5. Falco of "The Sopranos" : EDIE
6. TiVo button : REC
7. Actress Shire : TALIA
8. Manhattan Project creation : A-BOMB
9. "Au __": "Bye, Pierre" : REVOIR
10. Texas or Ukraine city : ODESSA
11. World's second largest island : NEW GUINEA
12. Showing strong feelings : EMOTIONAL
13. Kirsten of "Spider-Man" : DUNST
18. The Browns, on sports tickers : CLE. (Cleveland Browns football team)
24. Pop in the mail : SEND
25. Windy City commuter org. : CTA. Chicago Transit Authority. Chicago could have fit in yesterday.
27. __ constrictor : BOA
29. Landon who ran against FDR : ALF and was defeated soundly. Kansapedia article.
30. Opening set of TV series episodes : SEASON ONE
31. Hourly worker's device : TIME CLOCK
32. Fleet VIP : ADM. (Admiral)
33. Put into operation : USE
34. Scottish cap : TAM
36. Sci-fi staples : ETs. (Extra-Terrestrials)
39. Diving lake bird : LOON. Our crossword bird.
40. Capote nickname : TRU. Author Truman Capote.
43. It's a scream : [EEK!]
45. Picking-up-the-tab words : "IT'S ON ME"
47. Song words before "with a little help from my friends" : I GET BY
48. Husk-wrapped Mexican food : TAMALE
50. Pay : REMIT
51. Concrete-reinforcing rod : REBAR
52. Shoulder muscles, briefly : DELTs
53. Before, before : ERE
55. Golfer with an "army" : ARNIE Palmer.
56. Deceptive move : FEINT
57. Makes more bearable : EASES
60. Capsize, with "over" : KEEL. Since the keel is on the bottom of the boat, to keel over is not good.
63. Superstation initials : TBS. (Turner Broadcasting System)
Notes from C.C.:
1) Belated Happy Birthday to dear Bill G! I'm terribly sorry that I missed your milestone on Jan 31 due to travel, Bill. How did you and Barbara celebrate? Cuban food again or what? Tell us about the menu.
|Bill G & his grandson Jordan|
2) Happy Birthday to our Saturday Stud Splynter, who turns 45 today. Splynter has been blogging for us since March, 2011. He only missed one or two Saturdays when he was sick. His dedication and commitment to the blog speak volumes of his character. Alas, I don't think that Blue Eyed Girl solves crosswords or reads our blog.